Wireless Radiation as a Toxic Exposure
A growing body of research is showing fetal harm from non-ionizing radiation from wireless devices we commonly use including cell phones, cordless phones, laptops, wireless routers and other wireless devices. There are many substances known to be hazardous to the developing fetus including alcohol, many prescription drugs and chemical toxins but wireless radiation is not a commonly recognized environmental toxin that obstetricians discuss with pregnant women. That may be changing with more public awareness of the emerging science showing biologic harm from radiofrequency radiation emitted by wireless devices. This radiation which passes through our bodies is absorbed by our cells has been shown to adversely affect biological processes causing a broad range of health effects.
Higher Everyday Radiation Exposure Triples Miscarriage Rate
A recent 2017 prospective cohort study by Li et al (1) looked at 913 pregnant women and examined the association between high magnetic field exposure and miscarriage risk. Dr Li, a reproductive and perineal epidemiologist who has published more than 70 peer reviewed articles, found that after controlling for multiple other factors, the women who were exposed to higher magnetic field levels from different sources had 2.72 times the risk of miscarriage. Li notes that “This study provides fresh evidence, directly from a human population, that MF non-ionizing radiation could have adverse biological impacts on human health.” He states that prior research along with the recent NTP study showing an increased cancer risk in experimental animals exposed to magnetic field non ionizing radiation are making it much more difficult to dismiss possible harm from increased EMR from wireless devices. Miscarriage Rates Triple for Women with Top Radiation Exposures. Reuters. Ronnie Cohen. Dec 20, 2017. See Scientific Literature on this website under Reproductive Health Effects for more information about the research.
Dr De-Kun Li Article and Additional Testimony
Exposure to Magnetic Field Non-Ionizing Radiation and the Risk of Miscarriage: A Prospective Cohort Study. (2017) Li et al. Sci Rep. 2017 Dec 13;7(1):17541. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5727515/
Dr. De-Kun Li Testimonial Letter to FCC regarding electromagnetic radiation. https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/7022311506.pdf
Dr. De-Kun Li Testimony FCC– Docket2011-00262 https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/7520940945.pdf
Childbirth Education Centers Discussing Wireless Devices
Childbirth Education Centers are now including advice on lowering EMF in the home to protect the safety of the entire family. In Flagstaff, Arizona Kathy Greenberg, RN, explains how electrical devices can be harmful but also advises using an EMF meter for magnetic fields and microwave radiation in order to identify and lower exposures on a daily basis.
Baby Safe Project
The Baby Safe Project, created by the award winning organization Grassroots Environmental Education, provides information to pregnant women about the potential hazards of wireless radiation from commonly used devices in the critical time of fetal development. (1) They highlight critical peer reviewed research and also provide recommendations for safer use of wireless devices.
Baby Safe Project Video
Dr. Hugh Taylor, Chair Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences, Yale School of Medicine, discusses his research on radiofrequency exposure to pregnant mice resulting in behavioral effects in their offspring.
Dr. Hugh Taylor, Yale Professor, Dr. Leo Trasane, MD, MPP, and Devra Davis, PhD, explain childhood brain development and toxic exposures, including wireless radiation
In this video, produced by the Baby Safe Project, Dr. Hugh Taylor, Yale Professor explains his study on mice and prenatal exposure to RFR, along with Dr. Leo Trasande, NYU Langone School of Medicine, who explains the delicate nature of neural development and how prenatal toxic exposures to the brain can cause permanent and lifelong learning, memory and behavior disorders. Devra Davis, PhD provides a clear introduction.
Dr. Hugh Taylor’s 2013 Paper:
Fetal Radiofrequency Radiation Exposure From 800-1900 Mhz-Rated Cellular Telephones Affects Neurodevelopment and Behavior in Mice. Aldid, T. (2013) Nature. Scientific Reports 2, Article number: 312. Feb 18, 2013. http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120315/srep00312/full/srep00312.html
The Baby Safe Project advises the following for pregnant women:
Five Easy Ways to Reduce Exposure
- Keep your cell phone away from your body. Never carry it in a pocket or bra. Never sleep with your phone.
- Avoid cordless phones and their transmitting bases
- Keep your wireless laptop or tablet away from your body. Never rest your wireless device on your tummy.
- Avoid close proximity to Wi-Fi routers and “smart” utility meters. Turn off your routers at night.
- Whenever possible, connect to the internet using a wired (Ethernet) cable.
*EPA Office of Children’s Health Protection Honors the 2016 Children’s Environmental Health Excellence Awardees
Friends of the Earth Germany
Keeping Babies Safe from Wireless
Friends of the Earth Germany has developed a brochure for parents to educate them about reducing exposure to wireless technologies. This is especially important as there are more products on the market targeted to babies and children. Although advertised as educational there are serious concerns with regards to radiation emissions and early addiction to technology. Baby tech is a growing market with no warnings about health impacts. This brochure has been translated into English.
The full text in German is below https://www.bund.net/fileadmin/user_upload_bund/publikationen/ressourcen_und_technik/ressourcen_technik_mobilfunk_im_kinderzimmer.pdf
- Miscarriage rates triple for women with top radiation exposures. Reuters. Ronnie Cohen. Dec 20, 2017. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-mobilephone-miscarriage/miscarriage-rates-triple-for-women-with-top-radiation-exposures-idUSKBN1EE2AU
- Radiation typical of cell phones and Wi-Fi linked to high rate of miscarriages. SF Chronicle. Sophie Hague. Dec 16, 2017. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Radiation-typical-of-cell-phones-and-Wi-Fi-linked-12436529.php
- Avoiding EMF radiation not as easy as quitting smoking. SF Chronicle. Caille Millner. Dec 21, 2017 https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/article/Avoiding-EMF-radiation-not-as-easy-as-quitting-12449120.php
- Health Risks Linked to Electromagnetic Fields. Science Daily. Dec 13, 2017. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171213095534.htm
- Wi-fi and cellphones increase pregnant women’s risk of a miscarriage by nearly 50%, study reveals. Daily Mail. Alexandra Thompson. Dec 14, 2017. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-5179065/Wi-fi-increases-pregnant-womens-risk-miscarriage.html