The National Toxicology Program Carcinogenesis Study of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation is the most comprehensive, carefully done study performed to date on the long term effects of radio frequency radiation from wireless devices such as cell phones. This 10 year, $25 million dollar study was performed by the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. Interpretation of the study results varies but the research demonstrated an increase in tumors of the heart and brain in rodents exposed to cell phone radiation. Partial results were released in 2016. Here are some links which discuss the science and results.
NTP Study on Cellphone Radiation and Cancer Presentation June 2016
Note: Controls in all groups had no cancer which could indicate that protection from cell phone wireless radiation protects from cancer promotion as historical controls are at 2%
Note: Female rodents did not develop brain tumors. There are typically gender differences in rodent studies and it appears through studies that the female brain proves neuroprotection. Gender Differences in Chemical Carcinogenesis in National Toxicology Program 2-Year Bioassays. Sandeep Kadekar. Toxicologic Pathology. May 14, 2012. Gender Differences in Carcinogenic Studies
Interactions of estrogens and insulin-like growth factor-I in the brain: implications for neuroprotection.Cardona-Gomez. Brain Research. 2001. Estrogen as Neuroprotectant
Note: GSM and CDMA are 2 variants of second generation cellular communication technology. GSM (Global Systems for Mobile) is used by AT & T and T-Mobile and most of the world. CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) is owned by Qualcomm and is used by Sprint, Verizon, US Cellular. GSM phones have a removal SIM card to make it easier to change phones and keep data.
NTP Study Hyperplastic and Malignant Brain Lesions
Note: The glial cell hyperplasia seen in the exposed group is likely turn into malignant glioma according to Dr. Wyde, the presenter. They have the same pathology but hyperplastic lesions are smaller in size. Brain tumor results starts at 25:09. Heart Schwannoma results start at 27:09to 28:50.
2016 National Toxicology Program NIEHS 10 Year Study on the long term effects of cell phone radiation and cancer.
1) Report of Partial Findings from the National Toxicology Program Carcinogenesis Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation in Hsd: Sprague Dawley SD Rats (Whole Body Exposure). May 26, 2016. http://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2016/06/23/055699
2) NTP Toxicology and Carcinogenicity Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation-Slide Presentation. Michael Wyde, PhD, DABT. National Toxicology Program. National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. June 8, 2016https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/research/areas/cellphone/slides_bioem_wyde.pdf
3) National Toxicology Program Carcinogenesis Studies of Cell Phone Radiofrequency Radiation. May 2016. https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/
4) Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions. Scientific America. May 2016. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/major-cell-phone-radiation-study-reignites-cancer-questions/
5) Cellphone-Cancer Link Found in Government Study. http://www.wsj.com/articles/cellphone-cancer-link-found-in-government-study-1464324146
6) The NIEHS/NTP Cell Phone Radiation Study: Ronald Melnick PhD Full Interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46TbbcpVfjA
7) National Toxicology Program:Cell Phones. https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/results/areas/cellphones/