Cardiovascular Effects of Radio frequency Radiation
Radio frequency radiation from wireless devices passes through the body and can affect many organs. A mechanism of injury has been documented in the basic science literature to be related to calcium channels and the creation of reactive oxygen species/ free radicals. Research is limited on non-ionizing radiation on the cardiovascular system but studies have shown evidence of changes in autonomic function with a cell phone radiation or Wi Fi router radiation, including heart rhythm, blood pressure and catecholamine efficacy on the heart. Turedi (2015) looked at prenatal exposure in rat pups. They found “swelling in the mitochondria, degeneration in myofibrils and structural impairments” with histopathologic evidence of oxidative stress.
Cardiac Tumors and an Aging Heart
The National Toxicology Program on Cell Phones and Cancer study completed in 2018 revealed not only clear evidence of cardiac tumors and DNA damage but also histopathologic changes in the heart consistent with aging. See NTP Technical Report.
Heart Palpitations and Electrosensitivity
Electrosensitivity is an acute symptom complex in some 3% of individuals who experience heart palpitations, headaches, nausea, irritability which occur in the presence a cell phone, Wi Fi router, cell tower or other wireless devices. This appears related to multiple chemical sensitivity with common inflammatory biomarkers identified. (Belpomme 2015) . Electrosensitivity (also known as electrohypersensitivity, EHS or microwave illness) symptoms were highlighted in a NASA document ELECTROMAGNETIC FIELD INTERACTIONS WITH THE HUMAN BODY: OBSERVED EFFECTS AND THEORIES 1981. Electrosensitivity along with multiple chemical sensitivity is now being recognized by the United States Access Board as a disability “under the ADA if they so severely impair the neurological, respiratory or other functions of an individual that it substantially limits one or more of the individual’s major life activities.” Although they have not yet ruled on it they did create recommendations including “that a project be organized to develop guidelines for the design of an “ideal space” for people with MCS and EMS” Dr. Ann Lee, former physician at the Stanford Traumatic Brain Tumor Unit, and her son testify in Sacramento, California about her son’s electrosensitivity with heart palpitations in the presence of Wi Fi routers and Antenna.
- NTP Study Summary PST
- Cellular Mechanism Oxidation
- Cellular Mechanisms Calcium Channels
- Electrosensitivity Science
- Syncope Due to Ventricular Arrhythmia Triggered by Electronic Gaming. (2019) N Engl J Med. 2019; 381:1180-118. https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1905537 or https://www.medpagetoday.com/cardiology/arrhythmias/82237
- National Toxicology Technical Report on Cell Phones and Cancer. TOXICOLOGY AND CARCINOGENESIS STUDIES IN Hsd:SPRAGUE DAWLEY SD RATS EXPOSED TO WHOLE-BODY RADIO FREQUENCY RADIATION AT A FREQUENCY (900 MHz) AND MODULATIONS (GSM AND CDMA) USED BY CELL PHONES. March 26-28, 2018. 2 Year Study showing increased incidence of right ventricular cardiomyopathy. https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/about_ntp/trpanel/2018/march/tr595peerdraft.pdf
- The effects of the duration of mobile phone use on heart rate variability parameters in healthy subjects. (2016) Ekici B, Tanındı A, Ekici G, Diker E. Anatol J Cardiol. 2016 Apr 7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27109242
- Effects of acute exposure to WIFI signals (2.45 GHz) on heart variability and blood pressure in Albinos rabbit. (2015) Linda Saili. Environmental toxicology and Pharmacology.Vol 40. September 2015. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1382668915300594
- The effects of prenatal exposure to a 900-MHz electromagnetic field on the 21-day-old male rat heart. (2015) Türedi S. Electromagn Biol Med.2015;34(4):390-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25166431
- Heart rate variability (HRV) analysis in radio and TV broadcasting stations workers. (2012) Bortkiewicz A et al. Int J Occup Med Environ Health. 2012 Sep;25(4):446-55. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23224733
- The influence of the call with a mobile phone on heart rate variability parameters in healthy volunteers. (2008) Andrzejak R et al. Ind Health. 2008 Aug;46(4):409-17. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18716391
- Electromagnetic fields produced by incubators influence heart rate variability in newborns. (2008) Bellieni CV1, Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal Ed. 2008 Jul;93(4):F298-301
- Mobile phone-induced myocardial oxidative stress: protection by a novel antioxidant agent caffeic acid phenethyl ester. (2005) Ozguner F. Toxicol Ind Health. 2005 Oct;21(9):223-30. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16342473
- Voltage-gated calcium-channels and antiarrhythmic drug action. (2000) Cardiovascular research. Vol 45. Pg 43-51. January 2000. http://cardiovascres.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/1/43
- Ambulatory ECG monitoring in workers exposed to electromagnetic fields. (1997) Bortkiewicz A et al. J Med Eng Technol. 1997 Mar-Apr;21(2):41-6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9131446
- [Evaluation of selected functional circulation parameters of workers from various occupational groups exposed to electromagnetic fields of high frequency. III. 24-h monitoring of arterial blood pressure (ABP)]. (1997) Gadzicka E. Med Pr. 1997;48(1):15-24. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9198713
- [Evaluation of selected parameters of circulatory system function in various occupational groups exposed to high frequency electromagnetic fields. II. Electrocardiographic changes]. (1996) Bortkiewicz A et al. Med Pr. 1996;47(3):241-52. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8760508