5G and The Internet of Things:
A Real Need for Speed or a Predictable Dilemma?
The telecommunications industry is actively promoting and marketing 5G (or 5th Generation) Technology and the Internet of Things with glossy ads and reassuring television commercials. They promise that 5G will bring enhanced communications, jobs, and an economic boost to our cities and our nation. Researchers, physicists, biologists and physicians argue, however, that there are health, safety, environmental, privacy, security and energy use issues that have not been addressed before the widespread rollout. These scientists predict a biological, environmental as well as societal disruption resulting from this technology that will be difficult or impossible to reverse. In addition, widespread state and federal legislation to streamline deployment of 5G by removing local control on placement and fees cities can charge, will actually cause economic decline in cities with lost revenue and increased liability for harm from cell antenna, as this is an exemption wireless providers have in their insurance policies. The far-reaching Telecommunications Act of 1996 helps businesses roll out wireless and simultaneously dismisses health or environmental concerns.
Headlines 5G and Cell Phones
- The inconvenient truth about cancer and mobile phones: We dismiss claims about mobiles being bad for our health – but is that because studies showing a link to cancer have been cast into doubt by the industry? Mark Hertzgaard and Mark Dowie. The Guardian. July 14, 2018. https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/14/mobile-phones-cancer-inconvenient-truths
- Why public health experts are worried about 5G, the next generation of cell network. Nicole Karlis. Salon. Dec 4, 2018.https://www.salon.com/2018/12/03/why-public-health-experts-are-worried-about-5g-the-next-generation-of-cell-network/
- Resistance to 5G: Roadblock to a High Tech Future or Warning of a Serious Health Risk? Conan Milner. Nov 9, 2018. https://www.theepochtimes.com/resistance-to-5g-roadblock-to-a-high-tech-future-or-warning-of-a-serious-health-risk_2705116.html
- Radiation Causes Cancer in Rats. What About Humans?An update on the science and how big telecoms emit a deadly smog of radiation. Richard Maxwell, PhD and Toby Miller, PhD. Oct 09, 2018. Psychology Today. https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/greening-the-media/201810/radiation-causes-cancer-in-rats-what-about-humans
- How Big Wireless Made Us Think That Cell Phones Are Safe: A Special Investigation. March 29, 2018. The Nation. The disinformation campaign—and massive radiation increase—behind the 5G rollout.How Big WirelessMade Us Think That Cell Phones Are Safe.
- FRIGHTENING FREQUENCIES: THE DANGERS OF 5G & WHAT YOU CAN DO ABOUT THEM. Eluxe Magazine. May 2018. https://eluxemagazine.com/magazine/dangers-of-5g/
- Questions Raised About 5G Health Risks Months Before Sacramento Launches Service. CBS Sacramento. May 29, 2018. https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/29/questions-raised-about-5g-health-risks-months-before-sacramento-launches-service/
- Radiation From Cell Phones, WiFi, are Hurting the Birds and the Bees; 5G May Make it Worse. Newsweek. Dana Dovey. 5/19/2018. Radiation from Cell Phones ;5G
- Cybersecurity Agency Warns Of ‘Extremely Dangerous’ Risks Of 5G Technology. March 30, 2018. Eurasia Review. Cybersecurity Agency Warns…
- Cost Of Ineffective And Uncoordinated Action On Cyber-risks Continues To Rise. Governments and businesses must act urgently to build cyber resilience as cyber-risks and the cost of inaction continue to rise. March 6, 2018. Bloomberg. Cost of ineffective and Uncoordinated Action on Cyber-risks Continues to Rise…
- CPSC asks: How dangerous is the internet of things? The US Consumer Product Safety Commission is investigating the safety of internet-connected devices. March 28, 2018.CSPS asks: How…
- Verizon project in Palo Alto highlights challenges in scaling small cells. June 16, 2017. Verizon Project in Palo Alto
- Sonus and Palo Alto Networks Team Up For Mobile Security. April 22, 2017. Songs offers Palo Alto Networks with Mobile Security
- Ericsson wants STA for supersecret 5G tests before Verizon board meeting. January 27, 2017. Ericsson on Supersecret 5G Testing
5G “Mobile” Technology Requires an Army of Fixed Antennas
Far from being mobile, this technology will depend on thousands of fixed “small cell” antennae throughout cities and residential neighborhoods, about 300 meters (~1000 feet) apart. In order to function, these short wavelength radiofrquencies (6-100 Gigahertz or GHz) will be pulsing at billions of times a second (1GHz=1 Billion cycles /sec) and will be continuously emitting radiation 24 hours a day. In a addition, a newer technology which is used in the military for early warning missile radar systems, PAVE PAWS, is incorporated into these systems called phased arrays, where by more powerful built in “beam steering” arrays scan back and forth from tower to device and from device to tower for easier connection with an individual’s movement, similar to the missile systems. Phased arrays are also used in AM and FM radio broadcast stations and proposed for automotive radar sensing. The cell phones will operate with higher power and shielding for electrical interference but no apparent shielding for the user. There has been no premarket testing for health or environmental harm. Cities across the globe are now conducting trials for 5G before full commercial rollout expected in 2018/2019. A Smart Cities Council Smart Cities Council is promoting this technology worldwide. Plug and Play Technologies, which “brings together the best startups and the worlds largest corporations”, also promotes this untested but innovative technology. Video- The Connected Era
Sacramento Leads the Way with 6 Antennas Already Installed and San Jose Smart City Initiative Close Behind
5G Signals the Skin Through Sweat Glands
Although 5G only penetrates the outer layers of skin, elements in the skin can act as a mini antennas radiating the RF frequencies deeper into the body and signaling the nervous, endocrine and immune system with broad adverse effects. There has been no pre market testing of 5G. It is assumed safe if it does not burn the skin. Like prior 2G, 3G and 4G networks, they are considered dangerous only if they heat the body. FCC guidelines are only based on heat. There has been no consideration for adverse biological effects found at non thermal levels in a multitude of studies on 2G, 3G or 4G. In addition, 5G technology has a disturbing data gap with regards to research on human or environmental safety, that is even admitted by industry. No studies done, no harm seen.
Scientists and Physicians Call for a Moratorium on 5G
Scientists and physicians on the other hand have called for a moratorium on 5G with a 5G Appeal. They feel there is substantial evidence of adverse public health and environmental effects, along with the uncontested fact that there is little research on health or environmental effects of 5G technology, although research indicates there area adverse effects on skin and eyes. Similar to other toxins we are exposed to there is no premarket or post market testing.
Dr. Martin Pall has complied a remarkable compendium on 5G scientific information and highlights the lack of appropriate agencies to consider robust research on biological effects of wireless technologies.The online book is here- 5G: Great risk for EU, U.S. and International Health! Compelling Evidence for Eight Distinct Types of Great Harm Caused by Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Exposures and the Mechanism that Causes Them
Fiberoptic and Wires: A Safer, Faster, More Private Alternative
Reports indicate that fiberoptic or cable delivery of broadband is 10 times faster than wireless and offers added benefits of privacy, security, significantly lower energy use (mitigates climate change) as well as safety for people and the environment. Other cities such as Chattanooga Tennessee have developed a fiberoptic broadband system fiberoptic broadband system with one gigabit per second over the EPB fiber network. Unfortunately, big wireless companies such as Verizon and AT&T wish to remove all barriers to their dominant business model and thus have sued cities for unfair competition, even though cites are provided broadband equality to all. Companies are going around that by allowing all service providers to use the fiberoptic for fast service. A concise and important publication which helps cities navigate the laws to provide faster, cheaper, safer and more equitable broadband service- Reinventing Wires: The Future of Landlines and Networks- is here.
5G Fiberoptic to the Home: The Smarter Option Over Wireless
There is growing concern, despite industry ads, that 5G is overrated and that the expense will not match profit margin. There is also closer scrutiny of the 5G rollout with the knowledge that underground fiberoptic networks are much more reliable than wireless networks in a fire or for emergencies.
The exceptional publication Reinventing Wires: The Future of Landlines and Networks reviews the advantages of fiberoptic networks and why cities and municipalities are developing cable networks for local and rural areas. Community Owned Open Access MuniNetworks are the fastest growing and safer alternative to 5G antennas. Utility poles overloaded with cell antenna equipment from multiple carriers were responsible for fires in Malibu in 2007, costing about $100 million in fines. This is a more common occurrence with severe weather changes and aging poles.
Advantages of Fiberoptic to the premises (FTTP):
- Fiberoptic networks are much less susceptible to congestion due to each household having a dedicated link
- Underground FTTP are less susceptible to damage from fires which are becoming more frequent.
- Fiberoptic To The Premises (FTTP) is not subject to terrain variability, such as trees and hills, thus is the best and most equitable method for delivery of broadband internet.
- Fiberoptic has faster speed, less energy use and more privacy and security than with wireless systems
- Fiberoptic does not emit harmful radio frequency radiation, which has been shown to harm humans,
- Open Access Fiberoptic systems are a win-win for industry and cities.
5G Moratorium Called for by Scientists Due to Human and Environmental Threats
5G: International Society of Doctors Environmental Appeal 2018
The International Society of Doctors for the Environment states in their 5 G Appeal for a moratorium on 5G “We believe it should be unethical to ignore the available evidence waiting a possible “a posteriori” demonstration of health damages in the presence of a present and potentially manageable risk for public health…..Thus, in the respect of the precautionary principle and of the WHO principle “health in all policies”, we believe suitable the request of a standstill for the “5G experimentations” throughout Europe until an adequate and active involvement of public institutions operating in the field of environmental health (health ministry, environmental ministry, national environmental and health agencies) will be effectively planned.”
International 5G Appeal: Scientists and Doctors Warn of Potential Serious Health Effects
“We the undersigned scientists and doctors recommend a moratorium on the roll-out of the fifth generation, 5G, for telecommunication until potential hazards for human health and the environment have been fully investigated by scientists independent from industry. 5G will substantially increase exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields (RF-EMF) on top of the 2G, 3G, 4G, Wi-Fi, etc. for telecommunications already in place. RF-EMF has been proven to be harmful for humans and the environment.” 5G Appeal
Newly Published Scientific Articles on 5G and Public Health
- 5G: Great risk for EU, U.S. and International Health! Compelling Evidence for Eight Distinct Types of Great Harm Caused by Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Exposures and the Mechanism that Causes Them. Martin Pall PhD. 2018. Book published online with scientific references.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29655646
- Wi-Fi is an important threat to human health. (2018). Martin L Pall. Environmental Research. Volume 164. July 2018. Pages 405-416. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0013935118300355
- Towards 5G communication systems: Are there health implications? (2018) Di Ciaula A. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018 Apr;221(3):367-375. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29402696
- 5G wireless telecommunications expansion: Public health and environmental implications. (2018) Russell CL. Environmental Research. 2018 Apr 11. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29655646
- Towards 5G communication systems: Are there health implications? (2018) Di Ciaula A. Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2018 Apr;221(3):367-375. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29402696
Shearwood McClelland, III, MD and Jerry J. Jaboin, MD, PhD, Open Letter Regarding 5G and Need for Physician Involvement
Department of Radiation Medicine, Oregon Health and Science University, Portland Oregon- On 5G Technology. “The impending rollout of fifth-generation (5G) Wi-Fi in mobile phones, augmenting the current fourth-generation (4G) technology toward making global interconnectivity between devices a reality, has been touted as a significant improvement of speed compared to current and previous wireless signaling (1) . Less well explored are the potential consequences associated with this need for speed: namely, the substantial increase in biologic exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields from the 1900-2100 MHz associated with 4G to the 3500 MHz estimated median bandwidth of 5G (2) While studies of human lymphocytes have indicated no impact of short-term (30-minute) 900 MHz exposure on DNA integrity, animal studies have demonstrated that longterm exposure to 900-1800 MHz via second-generation mobile phone radiation (48 min/d for 30-180 days) induces hippocampal damage…
What is the role of the medical community (particularly radiation oncology) in this arena? Are we to remain silent while focusing only on optimizing care of our immediate patients, or do we have a responsibility to utilize our clinical knowledge of radiation safety and efficacy to aid in preventing corporate profit from being the primary determinant of acceptable radiation exposure from wireless networks?” Dr. McClelland and Dr. Jaboin Open Letter 5G-2018. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology and Physics, Volume 101, No. 5, 2018 Pg 1274.
5G Information Fact Sheets for Printing
Environmental Health Trust has created information sheets on 5G and Small Cells that have valuable information and can be shared with policy makers, community leaders and others.
SaferEMR also has information on 5G –SaferEMR 5G Moratorium and Appeal
5G Wireless Technology: Millimeter Wave Health Effects SaferEMR.com on Millimeter Wave Technology
Should the Internet Really Be Everything? What’s Not So Smart About Out Smart Tech Future. Alison Main. Paleo Magazine Dec/Jan 2018. Should the Internet Be Everything?
Santa Clara County Medical Association Article- A 5G Wireless Future
Review Articles Regarding Harm
Radiation From Cell Phones, Wi Fi are Hurting the Birds and the Bees; 5G May Make it Worse. 5/19/18 Newsweek
5G: Great Risk for EU, U.S., and International Health. Compelling Evidence of Eight Distinct Types of Harm Cause by Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Exposures and the Mechanism that Causes Them.
A 5G Wireless Future-Will it Give Us a Smart Nation or Contribute to an Unhealthy One? SCCMA Bulletin June, 2017
Senator Patrick Colbeck Discusses the Health Risks of Wireless Technology and 5G Expansion, March 15, 2018
Technology Business Perspective
Here is a Technology Industry Review of their plans for the Internet of Things, Virtual Reality, self driving cars and more. Continue to scroll down for information regarding health and safety concerns.
Industry Describes Fixed Wireless Systems Development
In a Wireless 2020 Business Conference, Moderator of RCR Wireless News opens discussion of current plans for fixed wireless access by companies in the the initial development phase of 5G technology. They point out that this wireless system is not really mobile but depends on thousands of fixed antenna for use. Cost becomes an issue for this proposed widespread technology. They discuss different bands and characteristics for use. An interesting business perspective which does not include health or environmental effects. March 2017.
5G Wireless Technology: Cutting Through the Hype
Dr. Joel Moskowitz (SaferEMR.com) discusses the hype and realities of the “Global Race to 5G” which industry states will be 100 times faster and connect with 100 times more device in 5G Wireless Technology: Cutting Through the Hype. He also discusses the EMF Scientist Appeal to the WHO to urge reevaluation of safety standards for 2G,3G and 4G technology as well as a 5G Moratorium Appeal. Scientists and Doctors call for 5G Moratorium.
5G Technology: Potential Risks To Human Health: Excerpts From Scientific Conference, Israel, January 2017.
Physicist Dr. Paul Ben-Ishai discusses his research on 5G technology and how millimeter wavelengths affect human skin and sweat glands preferentially and act as helical antennas from 75 to 100 Gigahertz millimeter wavelengths.
What Cities are Testing 5G in 2018?
Many major cities have installed 5G test sites. There is testing for reliability of communications however no testing is performed for health or safety. They expect commercial rollout later in 2018. In the tests listed below, the 5G millimeter frequencies range from 3GHz to about 27 GHz.
Sacramento -The First City to Have 5G- Questions Raised About 5G Health Risks Months Before Sacramento Launches Service. May 29, 2018. CBS Local. https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2018/05/29/questions-raised-about-5g-health-risks-months-before-sacramento-launches-service The City of Sacramento partnered with Verizon to offer 5G. A spokesperson told CBS13 the City of Sacramento currently has six active 5G sites- all are on SMUD utility poles:
- 1731 E Street
- 1619 E Street
- 421 14TH Street
- 2330 Q Street
- 2019 21ST Street
- 801 16TH Street
Sacramento will soon initiate testing in residencies for 5G. Editor’s Corner—How the city of Sacramento got to 5G, and what it means for the rest of the U.S. April 2, 2018 FierceWireless. https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/editor-s-corner-how-city-sacramento-got-to-5g-and-what-it-means-for-rest-u-s
How Smart is San Jose? Silicon Valley’s Biggest City Tries to Catch Up with the Digital Future. July 26, 2018. Metro Silicon Valley. Lauren Hepler. https://www.sanjoseinside.com/2018/07/26/how-smart-is-san-jose-silicon-valleys-biggest-city-tries-to-catch-up-with-the-digital-future/
San Jose Smart City Initiative: San Jose picks three companies to make street lights ‘smart,’ set groundwork for 5G. Silicon Valley Business Journal. June 15, 2018. https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2018/06/15/san-jose-picks-three-companies-to-make-street.html
San Jose Smart City Vision. Offering Game changing technology and data-driven decision making. Office of Mayor Sam Liccardo. https://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?nid=5289
Dallas, Waco, Atlanta- AT&T Measuring Gigabit Download Speeds Using Millimeter Wave Spectrum in 5G Tests. April 11, 2018. https://www.radiomagonline.com/trends/at-t-measuring-gigabit-download-speeds-using-millimeter-wave-spectrum-in-5g-tests
Verizon Will Light Up Fixed 5G in 3 Markets in 2018. Nov 30, 2017 https://www.sdxcentral.com/articles/news/verizon-will-light-fixed-5g-3-5-markets-2018/2017/11/. 2018 Cites with 5G
Verizon Testing super Fast 5G Internet With Customers in 11 Cities. Feb 22, 2017. http://fortune.com/2017/02/22/verizon-testing-5g-11-cities/. Verizon Plans 5G in 11 Cities in America
Washington D.C. 5G Testing -Washington D.C- 5G Permit Washington DC-OET Special Temporary Authority Report
New Jersey- 5G Testing- New Jersey–5G Permit NJ-FCC FORM 442
Paris–Orange Starts 5G Testing in Paris: After successful trials in Romania, Orange begins testing 5G use cases in its home country. July 19, 2018. https://www.computerweekly.com/news/252445178/Orange-starts-5G-tests-in-Paris
Melbourne- NBN Co To Run 5G Tests in Melbourne: Future fixed Wireless Enhancement. Ericsson. April 10, 2018. https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nbn-co-to-run-5g-tests-in-melbourne-488643
Manilla, Philippines- Smart posts speeds of 14.97 Gbps in latest 5G tests. June 27, 2018. https://www.rappler.com/technology/news/205721-smart-5g-tests-philippines-june-2018
Africa- MTN Takes Its 5G Tests Outdoors. May 9, 2018. http://www.connectingafrica.com/author.asp?section_id=530&doc_id=742935
Canada and New Zealand announce major 5G tests, but national service remains years off. March 19, 2018. https://venturebeat.com/2018/03/19/canada-and-new-zealand-announce-major-5g-tests-but-national-service-remains-years-off/
Testimony against 5G cell towers
Actress Ali McGraw testifies against 5G cell tower bill in Santa Fe, New Mexico.
News Articles 5G
- 5G Testing and Conformance Bring New Challenges. June 20, 2018. EE Times
- Not in my backyard: Are cell towers coming to your neighborhood? Now that we know Charlotte will be one of just a dozen cities to get 5G from AT&T later this year, lightning-fast cell service likely isn’t the only thing we’re getting. WCNC. Nate Morabito. July 30, 2018