The 5G technology rollout, like a runaway train, is being pushed onto US cities and counties who are loosing even more local control over small cell tower placement with higher untested frequencies. This is happening internationally as well. There continues to be no consideration for health effects, environmental effects, radiation monitoring or privacy concerns. The new U.S. FCC 5G Fast Plan forces cities to use only an administrative permit with multiple antennas being approved at once and only 10 feet from homes. Local control is being crushed. Despite shiny promises of faster internet and seamless instantaneous connection to support so called “Smart Cities”, there are glaring downsides not discussed by industry. While the past U.S. President vocally supported the rollout of 5G and then 6G, offering for a brief time to nationalize the 5G network, some experts think 5G may be unrealistic in the near future. In addition, no 5G safety testing has been done. People around the United States first mobilized on May 15, 2019 to protest this overreach of the FCC, now regarded as another corporate captured agency. After the first successful International 5G protest January 25, 2020, the STOP 5G International Organization planned the next Worldwide STOP 5G Protest on April 25, 2020. Now with the rapid approval and deployment of 5G in space, attention has shifted to protest 5G in Space with actions starting in March 2021.
Stop 5G International Protest Day 2020
5G In Space? The New Reality
5G is now planned and being implemented for space telecommunications. Starlink, Elon Musks’s enterprise has 700 low-earth orbiting satellites as of October 2020 with 42,000 satellites planned via public private partnerships Tech giants have spent millions of dollars lobbying for airwaves. Billions will be spent on space communications. Space X will have 12,000+ satellites, One Web will have over 2,000. Amazon plans to launch 3,000 satellites. A total of about 80,000 satellites are planned. As manufacturers produce 5G cell towers they are also manufacturing the need for them claiming in glitzy ads there will be faster downloads and broader connectivity, especially in rural areas. The 5G phones and 5G service will be expensive and likely much more telecommunications than is really needed for the average user. The resulting global change in atmospheric radio wave frequencies blanketing the earth and the impacts on all living organisms, however, has not been addressed. The ethical considerations of the commercialization of space on humanity are barely mentioned.
Current Satellite Broadband Delivery- Low and Geosynchronous Orbit
Satellite broadband in 2020 is delivered by low, middle and outer earth satellites. The original, time tested satellites are geosynchronous and match the earths’ rotation about 22,000 miles above the earth in a fixed position. These approximately 402 satellites are used for airplane WiFi , weather, astronomy, telecommunications and surveillance. Only 3 equidistant satellites in the outer orbit can provide near global coverage of the earth for communications.
Currently there are about 2,000 Low-Earth Orbit satellites in use at about 250 to 600 miles from the earth. Lower orbit satellites are easier to launch and travel to. The International Space Station circles 250 miles above the earth in about 90 minutes in lower orbit. Satellite phones used in backcountry trips connect to lower orbit sites. Medium earth orbit is between lower and upper orbits at over 1,000 miles from earth and are used for navigation, communications, and maritime backhaul. Lower earth orbit is a popular place and now being commercialized. Elon Musk’s SpaceX Satellite program has already deployed 700 Starlink satellites into low-earth orbit in the past 2 years in monthly intervals with plans to deploy 30,000 more satellites in the next few years. Broadband communications from these Starlink satellites began in September 2020. Amazon is gearing up to launch 578 satellites through its Kupier Systems subsidiary, approved by the FCC July 30, 2020 to “serve the public interest”.
Space Debris: A Collision Waiting to Happen
AST Science is building 240 satellites that are in essence large cell towers in space that weigh over a ton. These will carry both 4G and 5G signals to a market of up to 5 Billion people. Nasa has written a letter to the FCC warning them of the heightened risk of catastrophic collision of the AST satellites which will be located near a constellation of 10 A-Train missions of NASA, USGS and CNES/JAXA which currently has a large debris object density. A disaster waiting to happen. NASA Lettter to FCC – AST Science Satellites Oct 29, 2020. Michael Domingues, A former senior Department of Defense official who served as Acting Secretary of the Air Force, wrote about the need for managing space traffic stating, “Space may appear endless, but opportunities to safely place and maintain an object in Earth’s orbit are not. The risk of collisions between objects in space is very real, and major collisions have already occurred. Even one collision can produce a dangerous debris field that can cripple a range of critical capabilities upon which we depend, such as global communications and navigation, and endanger the astronauts stationed in the International Space Station. In addition, the financial consequences could be monumental.”
Union of Concerned Scientists Database of Satellites is here. Currently about 3,372 satellites total.
More Satellites than Visible Stars
Elon Musk is the number one operator of satellites in orbit. Unfortunately this satellite mega constellation already obstructs the dark night sky that astronomers and students depend on. The International Astronomers Union issued a statement June 3, 2019, stating, “The organisation, in general, embraces the principle of a dark and radio-quiet sky as not only essential to advancing our understanding of the Universe of which we are a part, but also as a resource for all humanity and for the protection of nocturnal wildlife. We do not yet understand the impact of thousands of these visible satellites scattered across the night sky and despite their good intentions, these satellite constellations may threaten both.”
Articles have appeared in Forbes, The Washington Post, Space News, The Atlantic, Bloomberg News, and even Popular Mechanics discussing the effects on astronomy. This is not to mention the adverse impacts of light pollution highlighted by the International Dark-Sky Association.
5G International Legal Action Network (5GILAN)
Why We Should be Be Concerned About Increasing Space Satellites for Telecommunication
International public interest attorney Julian Gresser, a former visiting professor at Harvard Law School and MIT, discusses the many risks of the rapid deployment of earth satellites planned for telecommunications. These include the risks of collisions from massive increase in space debris, cybersecurity, human and environmental health risks, food security issues due to interference with weather forecasts. He explains this is not a simple upgrade of the 2G, 3G and 4G telecommunications. This technology is unproven, untested and without indemnification or insurance. The direct costs of this technology will be in the billions and paid by consumers. The cost of lax regulation causing accidents, health and irreversible environmental harms are in the trillions of dollars. A near miss of space debris over Pittsburg Pennsylvania in Jan 2020 highlights the true risks, with space debris remaining in orbit for centuries. He points out that while it is important to have rural connection, the solution is not 100,000 expensive risky satellites, it is fiberoptic cable which is considerably cheaper. Video here
Elon Musk’s SpaceX Satellites Rapidly Deployed
Individuals and organizations are invited to sign on.
Restoring Balance to the Satellite Program (5GILAN)
Mission: To require the FCC and other federal agencies to follow established principles and procedures that are well-recognized by international treaty, the U.S. Constitution, federal statutes, state laws and local ordinances — now even more relevant and critical during a national COVID-19 pandemic — to carefully assess all risks, costs, and viable alternatives before permitting the implementation of a blanket license of 7 million earth stations and accelerating the launch of 50,000-100,000 satellites.
Safeguard National Security — To compel a careful re-examination of the national security risks of over-reliance on a 5G/wireless infrastructure when a viable, safer, more secure, energy efficient, job generating, and vastly less expensive alternative – optical fiber wired infrastructure — is readily available and has already been paid for by taxpayers and ratepayers.
Diagram from 5G international Legal Action Network
- NASA warns huge 5G satellite constellation could be ‘catastrophic.’ Nov 4, 2020. The Burn-In. https://www.theburnin.com/science/nasa-warns-5g-satellites-catastrophic-2020-11-04/
- What Elon Musk’s 42,000 Starlink satellites could do for — and to — planet Earth. March 4, 2021. Michelle Yan Huang. Insider. https://www.businessinsider.com/how-elon-musk-42000-starlink-satellites-earth-effects-stars-2020-10
- Industry Voices—Menon: Satellite mega-constellations are connectivity’s new frontier post-5G revolution. Jan 5, 2021. Fierce Telecom. https://www.fiercetelecom.com/telecom/industry-voices-menon-satellite-mega-constellations-are-connectivity-s-new-frontier-post-5g
- New 243-strong satellite system will bring 4G and 5G to equatorial regions. Dec 18, 2020. Telecom TV. https://www.telecomtv.com/content/access-evolution/new-243-strong-satellite-system-will-bring-4g-and-5g-to-equatorial-regions-40501/
- What You Should Know About 5G Satellites—How Musk’s Sci-Fi Dreams Are Becoming Our Living Nightmare. April 1, 2020.Dafna Tachover. CHD. https://childrenshealthdefense.org/news/what-you-should-know-about-5g-satellites-how-musks-sci-fi-dreams-are-becoming-our-living-nightmare/
- The pandemic is speeding up the space internet race: How the technology behind airplane wifi could help connect everyone on Earth. Sept 26, 2020. Vox. https://www.vox.com/recode/2020/9/26/21457530/elon-musk-spacex-starlink-satellite-broadband-amazon-project-kuiper-viasat
- The 5G ‘space race’ is already underway. January 30, 2020 . In Business Greater Madison. https://www.ibmadison.com/the-5g-space-race-is-already-underway/
- The Commercialization of Space: Selling the Final Frontier. As NASA shifts its focus to newer, riskier deep space endeavors, a new industry is emerging: commercial space. Oct 31, 2014. Industry Week. https://www.industryweek.com/supply-chain/transportation/article/21964040/the-commercialization-of-space-selling-the-final-frontier
- NASA finally gets down to the business of commercializing space station operations. June 7, 2019. https://www.geekwire.com/2019/nasa-finally-gets-business-commercializing-space-station-operations/
- Exploring the ethics of commercial space exploration in the 21st century: Is the pursuit of space exploration through commercial organisations advantageous to humanity? Blue Marble Space Institute of Science. Nov 2, 2020. Adam Suttle. https://bmsis.org/exploring-the-ethics-of-commercial-space-exploration-in-the-21st-century/
- Healthy Heavens Trust Declaration on Satellites https://www.5g-ilan.com
Stop 5G International Actions 2021
5G in Space Protests
March 19th, 2021 Protest Rally outside of SpaceX in Hawthorne, CA.
Satellites, rockets, and 5G on earth and in sky. What is the cost to health and the environment?
Announcement and sign-up form.
SpaceX Protest promo video
SpaceX Protest blog post announcement
SpaceX Protest Press Release
5G Environmental Effects
Stop 5G International Protest Day Jan 25, 2020
Scientists, communities and organizations around the world rose up, on January 25, 2020, to oppose 5G technology proposed on every street corner and in space. They argued this is untested technology which threatens our health, safety, privacy and security as well as the environment. Fiberoptic, wired and cabled technology are safer and offer more protection, better connection with much less risk.
The Stop 5G International organization, a voluntary group of people across the globe, sponsored the 2 weeks of actions, from January 15-25, 2020 culminating on January 25, 2020. Planned actions and outreach efforts in the United States, Europe and beyond to stop further deployments of 5G. There were 270 events in 38 countries. T
Next STOP 5G Global Protest April 25, 2020
The next Worldwide Stop 5G Protest is Saturday, April 25, 2020.
For videos, news coverage and photos of the January 25, 2020 see also PST blog at
Threats from 5G include:
- Energy Usage
- Lower property values
Scroll to see 5G bans and worldwide actions
Global Protest to Stop 5G
January 12- 25, 2020
The Stop 5G International organization is sponsoring a global protest against future 5G deployment. There is 2 weeks of action, from January 12-January 25, with a planned event January 25, 2020. “Around the world, people are standing up to say NO to 5G and calling instead for safe and proven technology that prioritizes health, privacy, security, and the environment over corporate profit.” For more information go to https://stop5ginternational.org. or www.mystreetmychoice.com
- Jan. 12, 2020, Sunday, 10:30 am: Author Gar Smith “preaches” re 5G at the Berkeley Fellowship of UU’s service. 1924 Cedar St @ Bonita, Berkeley 11:30 potluck lunch. 12:30-2pm 5G workshop with Gar and Phoebe Sorgen
- Jan. 16, 2020, Thursday, 7:00pm: 5G Community DISCUSSION with world-renowned 5G expert, Dafna Tachover Esq MBA, Hosted by Berkeley City Council Members Ben Bartlett and Cheryl Davila. South Berkeley Senior Center, 2939 Ellis St. near Ashby. Plus retired electronic engineer/scientist Lloyd Morgan; an industry spokesperson; and former Council member Max Anderson. Followed by audience comments/questions.
- Jan. 17, 2020, Friday, 7:00pm: PERILS of 5G, with 5G expert Dafna Tachover and Karl Maret, MD/ electrical engineer. Hosted by WiRED (Wireless Radiation Education and Defense) Thousand Oaks Baptist Church, 1821 Catalina Ave near Colusa, north Berkeley.
- Jan. 25, 2020, Saturday, 11:00 am. – 5G Action Day! Rally @ Verizon, 2209 Shattuck, downtown Berkeley. March to MLK Park and back by noon.
Video of Worldwide Actions on 5G
People across the globe are protesting 5G. Thanks to EHTrust for this video.
5G Crisis Actions 2019
July 27, 2019 – New Day of Action Against 5G: An Undeniable Risk
This video from the 5G Crisis website highlights that this is not a simple upgrade to cell service. There is no safety testing that has been done, yet hundreds of studies have shown biological harm from exposures below current allowable levels. Despite the science, revaluation of RF safety standards has not been done for 2G, 3G, or 4G, let alone 5G.
While CEO’s are “giddy with excitement” over the speed of 5G, and investors are happily anticipating the build out of millions of cell towers with a new business model there remain many unanswered unaddressed questions of health, safety, privacy, security and contribution to planetary health.
The July 27, 2019 Day of Action information is here.
May 15, 2019- 5G Day of Action
30 Demonstrations Against 5G in 14 States on May 15, 2019
Updated News about the May 15, 2019 5G Day of Action can be found at Safer EMR.
Privacy and Surveillance Threats of 5G Terrifying
Privacy and security are growing concerns with data breaches, hacking and cyber espionage evident as real threats by experts, eloquently reviewed by Sue Halpern, in a recent New Yorker article-The Terrifying Potential of the 5G Network. Citizens are fighting back around the world. In Toronto officials are facing opposition to the development of the first of it’s kind proposed “Smart City “, to be built high tech from the ground up, due to serious concerns for widespread surveillance.
News Articles on 5G and Wireless Expansion
For updated news articles on wireless technology and 5G visit SaferEMR at TV and News Articles Wireless Radiation
Surveillance Capitalism and 5G
Age of Surveillance Capitalism: “We Thought We Were Searching Google, But Google Was Searching Us”
Author Shoshana Zuboff, professor emeritus at Harvard Business School, discusses her new book, “The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power”. She points out that capitalism has historically been based on labor as the key economic driver. Now the marketplace is mining data derived from our personal experiences. High tech firms such as Amazon, Facebook and Google then sell it to third parties without regard to our wellbeing. She argues that our democracy is at risk. “We are told that if we have nothing to hide then we have nothing to fear. The fact is ,what they don’t tell us is and what we are forgetting is that if we have nothing to hide then we are nothing… Because everything about us that makes us our unique identities that gives us…our sense of freedom of will and action and right to our own futures…is our private realm and is intended to be private..and turns us into people who assert moral autonomy, an essential element of a democratic society.” 5G will greatly expand surveillance and privacy threats as our every move will be digitized.
Toronto’s New Quayside “Smart City” Facing Fierce Opposition for Surveillance Capitalism
Plans for fully integrated city to be built from the ground up is finding that citizens are not all happy with the secret undemocratic development process, full surveillance plans and commodification of citizens data. Toronto Open Smart Cities Forum is exposing the Canadian Government and Google partnership proposals as unethical in the limitless collection of data in exchange for free services. Googles friendly name of “Sidewalk Labs” which is owned by Alphabet, Inc, is set to develop 12 acres of waterfront, southeast of downtown Toronto. According to the Intercept article, Googles “Smart City of Surveillance” Faces New Resistance in Toronto , Sidewalk Labs “kiosks have already been installed in New York and London. The kiosks — which include three cameras, 30 sensors, and Bluetooth beacons — aggregate anonymized data for advertising purposes in exchange for providing passersby with free Wi-Fi services.”
5G technology will require radiation standards to be raised to the level of ICNRP guidelines in order to function. Governments around the world are now concerned.
Bans on 5G: Belgium, Italy, Germany, Switzerland Call for 5G Ban
Belgium- A 5G Pilot project in Brussels Belgium was halted due to environmental and health concerns. The Environmental Minister Celine Fremault stated, “I cannot welcome such technology if the radiation standards, which must protect the citizen, are not respected, 5G or not…The people of Brussels are not guinea pigs whose health I can sell at a profit. We cannot leave anything to doubt.”
Germany– A petition to stop a 5G auction in Germany gained momentum and closed April 4, 2019 with more than 50,000 signatures, enough that it be discussed in parliament.
Italy- In Rome, the XII Municipality of Roma Capitale, has asked to halt the rollout of 5G. The Italian article states that there were 11 votes for and 3 votes against the “experimentation”. A large part of Rome wants to have a “a ‘5G free’ hole in the Portuense, Gianicolense and Monteverde areas up to Maccarese and Castel di Guido: “We ask the mayor to stop the 5G trial and not to raise the limit values in the threshold of electromagnetic radiation avoiding the positioning of groups of mini-millimeter microwave antennas on homes, schools, day centers, recreation centers, street lights and more, ”
Councilor Massimiliano Quaresima stated, “The fight against electromagnetic pollution is one of our strong points. I am in favor of technological progress but not on the experimentation of 5G technology in the absence of certain scientific data on the repercussions for health. Apply the precautionary principle sanctioned by the European Union”.
Maurizio Martucci, a representative of the Italian alliance Stop 5G noted, “Finally politics is acknowledging our request for a sensible moratorium awaiting the seriousness of the risk of ubiquitous irradiation. Safe progress is in the defense of health ”.
Switzerland- The Canton of Geneva has introduced a preliminary ban on the construction of 5G antennae, until there is investigation into health and environmental impacts.
Insurance Industry Says 5G is an Emerging High Risk Situation Along with Climate Change
In a 2019 report by Swiss RE, the second largest reinsurance company in the world, 5G is listed as an emerging concern in the high risk category within 3 years. Included in the high risk trends, are artificial intelligence and the existential threats of climate change.
Swiss Re states in its article, Off the leash-5G, “A large-scale breakthrough of autonomous cars and other IoT applications will mean that security features need to be enhanced at the same pace. Without that, interruption and subversion of the 5G platform could trigger catastrophic, cumulative damage. With a change to more automation facilitated by new technology like 5G, we might see a further shift from motor to more general and product liability insurance.
There are also worries about privacy issues (leading to increased litigation risks), security breaches and espionage. The focus is not only on hacking by third parties, but also potential breaches from built-in hard- or software “backdoors.” In addition, the market for 5G infrastructure is currently focused on a couple of firms, and that raises the spectre of concentration risk.
- Cyber exposures are significantly increased with 5G, as attacks become faster and higher in volume. This increases the challenge of defense.
- Growing concerns of the health implications of 5G may lead to political friction and delay of implementation, and to liability claims.
- Information security and national sovereignty concerns might delay implementation of 5G further, increasing uncertainty for planning authorities, investors, tech companies and insurers.
- Heated international dispute over 5G contractors and potential for espionage or sabotage could affect international cooperation, and impact financial markets negatively.”
5G High Energy Consumption Will Worsen Climate Change
5G technology will contribute to, not combat climate change by increasing energy use throughout the lifecycle of its products. According to computer magazine Network World article, “The consumption of energy by consumer electronic information communications technology (CE-ICT) grows by about 7 percent per year, according to Corcoran. This growth only includes TVs and entertainment devices, computers, smartphones and tablets. It does not consider that all these devices are cloud-connected. The energy cost of powering data centers and networks grows proportionately with the increase in network and cloud usage. The data load on networks has grown at 22 percent per year, according to cisco, and cloud data centers are growing by about 15 percent, according to Telecompetitor ” With 50 billion devices up and running by 2020, the energy consumption of IoT will outpace any conservation efforts by “Smart” devices.
Another article, “The Power of the Wireless Cloud”, from the University of Melbourne Center for Energy Efficient communications, highlights that data centers are not the only high consumers of energy but also all wireless devices as they are extremely energy inefficient. Wireless systems use 15 to 23 times more energy than wired systems. The researchers state “Our energy calculations show that by 2015, wireless cloud will consume up to 43 TWh, compared to only 9.2 TWh in 2012, an increase of 460%. This is an increase in carbon footprint from 6 megatonnes of CO2 in 2012 to up to 30 megatonnes of CO2 in 2015, the equivalent of adding 4.9 million cars to the roads. Up to 90% of this consumption is attributable to wireless access network technologies, data centres account for only 9%.”
The Hidden Cost of Amazon Prime Shipping
As brick and mortar stores are closing in cities across the US, Amazon is growing and using more energy in the worldwide delivery of everything we need and desire so quickly. They along with Apple, Google and Facebook pledged to reduce energy consumption and work toward 100% renewable energy. Amazon, however, has been quiet about this since 2016 and still uses about 50% of it’s energy from non renewable sources. Gizmodo reviewed internal documents from Amazon in 2018 and found they were courting fossil fuel giants stating, “Oil and Gas Key Accounts” for 2018 viewed by Gizmodo contains dozens of current and targeted clients that include some of the largest private contributors to climate change, like ExxonMobil and Chevron, and entities like Aramco, Saudi Arabia’s state-owned oil company.”
Digital technology has a large carbon footprint if all the indirect embedded energy costs are accounted for, such as manufacturing, transport, equipment replacement, and e-waste disposal. This is well documented in The Monster Footprint of Digital Technology
For more information on energy consumption in wireless technology visit www.Whatis5G.info . We thank them for their comprehensive review.
ICNRP Cartel: Do Inaccurate Radiofrequency Assessments Promote Profit Over Protection?
The authoritative International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNRP) sets exposure guidelines for radiofrequency fields around the world. Some Countries adopt the same upper limits of exposure (U.S. and Canada) and others are more precautionary , setting much lower limits of exposure (Austria, Belgium, Switzerland) that are 50 to 10,000 times less the ICNRP Guidelines. Are the ICNRP RF guidelines accurate or manipulated? For protection or profit?
The Oceana Radiofrequency Scientific Advisory Association (ORSAA) complied a review, Who is Running the WHO EHC review – ICNIRP? , which clearly shows the weight given to science on health effects depends on the country and funding of the science. Selection bias is highlighted by ORSAA, stating “What we have found is that the researchers represent countries that have in most cases adopted ICNIRP Guidelines, which are the least protective when compared to what is available around the world. There is no representation from countries that have more stricter scientific based RF Standards such as Eastern Europe, Russia, China or India.” ORSAA has complied the science in Is ICNRP A Closed Club? The new interactive website ICNRP Cartel shows the complex nature of the funding biases in research.
The WHO Coverup That is Costing Us the Earth
Former WHO employee Olga Sheean reviews realities of industry influence with regards to wireless radiation and why we need to challenge this harmful and manipulative industry. This is her view.
May 15, 2019 A Day of Action to Oppose 5G
Americans for Responsible Technology, a non-profit educational and activist alliance, is called for a Day of Action, on May 15, 2019, to let their fellow citizens and policymakers know the risks of a 5G rollout including:
- Health and Safety
- Larger Carbon Footprint
- Expanding E-Waste
Scientific Evidence is Strong and Disturbing
Considering a vast and growing body of scientific evidence demonstrating that 2G, 3G and 4G technology frequencies are biologically disruptive to all organisms and:
- The current standards do not base their limits on biological harm or long term exposure
- The FCC standards are 23 years old
- The technology is complex and unpredictable
- 4G technology will be used in most small cells with many more cell towers spaced a few houses apart
- There is no independent safety testing of 5G
It is no wonder citizens and communities are rising up around the world to stop 5G and small cell installations on every block.
Letter Writing to Your Local politician and Newspaper
Another action called for on the 5G Action Day is letter writing, calls to your local politician or legislators and if inspired, a letter to the editor to let them know your concerns. Environmental Health Trust has a number of resources and suggestions to Take Action on 5G Streamlining Bills
5G Moratorium Called by Scientists and Physicians
Over 240 international scientists and physicians from 40 countries have called for a 5G Moratorium. The 5G Appeal states, “ 5G will substantially increase exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields RF-EMF, that has been proven to be harmful for humans and the environment…. and on top of the increased number of 5G-transmitters (even within housing, shops and in hospitals) according to estimates, ”10 to 20 billion connections” (to refrigerators, washing machines, surveillance cameras, self-driving cars and buses, etc.) will be parts of the Internet of Things. http://www.5gappeal.eu/about/
The 5G Mass Experiment: Big Promises, Unknown Risks
Investigate Europe has produced a short video about 5G which was published January 2019. It points out that we have many habits of consumption that are unhealthy, however, we can choose to consume them or not. With 5G and “Small Cell” towers we have no control and will be exposed 24/7 to this harmful radiation. Investigate Europe
Telecom Giants vs Local Control : Congress Now Concerned
This fight is not only about health, but about the loss of citizen and community control. That is why the National League of Cities along with hundreds of individual cities and counties support Representative Anna Eshoo’s HR 530 to revoke the Federal Communications Commission Rule and Order to streamline deployment of 5G and “small cell” towers that took effect in January 2019. Some cities are considering municipal owned cable and fiberoptic systems that are fully wired to the home (and in the home) in order to provide equitable, safer and cheaper service to their residents. In 21 states legislation has outlawed this practice of municipal owned broadband networks but others are moving forward.
Federal Preemption in Matters of Public Health
Federal preemption of local governments in many areas that affect public health have already been adopted, including agriculture, toxics reductions and climate change policies. These policies often benefit large industry at the expense of public health. In a recent paper published in the American Public Health Association Journal entitled “State Preemption: Threat to Democracy, Essential Regulation, and Public Health” JL Pomeranz et al make the case for maintaining local government authority. They state, “Modern preemption represents the convergence of industry-sponsored deregulation and an undermining of local democracy…State legislatures have gone so far as to eliminate their own ability to act on a wide range of issues while preempting local control over these same issues. States also have enacted punitive preemptive measures [“super-preemption”] under which local governments and officials can be subject to civil and even criminal penalties for adopting legislation that may be contrary to state law. Stakeholders and advocates across public health topic areas can work together to present a stronger opposition to preemption and support minimum standards that strengthen the health of all communities.
For information on the Americans for Responsible Technology Day of Action May 15, 2019 go here
- The Terrifying Potential of the 5G Network: the Future of Wireless Technology holds the promise of total connectivity. But will be especially susceptible to cyberattacks and surveillance. Sue Halpern. April 26, 2019.
- ‘Are community concerns over the 5G network rollout based on unfounded anxiety or valid evidence?’ Guest Blog from Dr. Don Maisch, Australia. Between a Rock and a Hard place. April 25, 2019. https://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/guest-blog-from-dr-don-maisch-australia-are-community-concerns-over-the-5g-network-rollout-based-on-unfounded-anxiety-or-valid-evidence/
- 5G is speedy, but does it also raise the stakes on privacy, security, potential abuse? USA Today. March 27, 2019. Edwards C Baig. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/03/27/will-new-5-g-wireless-network-threaten-your-privacy/3032281002/
- AT&T sued by Sprint, must defend decision to tell users that 4G is “5G E”. Sprint says AT&T’s “5G E” campaign violates laws against false advertising. JON BRODKIN – 2/8/2019. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/sprint-sues-att-to-stop-it-from-calling-its-4g-service-5g-e/
- Florence brakes on 5G and applies the Precautionary Principle:Motion in Defense of Health Approved (almost) unanimous.” Oasi Sana. March 28, 2019. In Italian. https://oasisana.com/2019/04/05/provoca-danni-al-corpo-firenze-frena-sul-5g-e-applica-il-principio-di-precauzione-approvata-con-voto-quasi-unanime-la-mozione-in-difesa-della-salute-notizia-esclusiva-oasi-sana/
- A Municipality of Rome votes against 5G: what will be the Giunta? Terra Nova Italy. March 28, 2019. In Italian. https://www.terranuova.it/News/Attualita/Un-Municipio-di-Roma-vota-contro-il-5G-cosa-fara-la-Giunta?fbclid=IwAR3aF3PUoI0CIuxeLo3TNU7wwyDXSOumhEY31IZH9e2oyOSRVJtrOwB071M
- Canton of Geneva prohibits construction of 5G antennae. April 11, 2019. Telecompaper.https://www.telecompaper.com/news/canton-of-geneva-prohibits-construction-of-5g-antennae–1288622
- Germans petition Parliament to stop 5G auction on health grounds. April 8, 2019. Telecompaper. https://www.telecompaper.com/news/germans-petition-parliament-to-stop-5g-auction-on-health-grounds–1287962
- Radiation concerns halt Brussels 5G development, for now. April 1, 2019. The Brussels Times. http://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels/14753/radiation-concerns-halt-brussels-5g-for-now
- 5G Auction Germany: Petition reaches Bundestag. April 5, 2019. 5G Global News. https://5globalnews.com/5g-auction-germany-petition-reaches-bundestag/
- European Commission Scientific Committee on Health, Environmental and Emerging Risks (SCHEER) 2018 Report Lists 5G Radiation as Risk. https://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/scheer_en
- Court upholds SF’s right to prevent telecom companies from marring scenic views. Bob Egelko April 4, 2019. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Court-upholds-SF-s-right-to-prevent-telecom-13742615.php
- Portland Officials Attempt To Block 5G Network Installation Over Health Risks. March 24, 2019. https://prepforthat.com/portland-blocking-5g-networks-over-health-risks/
- Trump Wants ‘5G’ and ‘Even 6G’ Wireless Technology ‘As Soon As Possible.’ What’s He Talking About? Time Feb 21, 2019. http://time.com/5534983/trump-5g-6g/
- ‘There’s zero chance that 5G is a ubiquitous technology’ by 2021, analyst says. April 23, 2019. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/23/analyst-craig-moffett-sees-no-chance-of-5g-becoming-ubiquitous-by-2021.html
- 5G Telecommunications Science. PST https://mdsafetech.org/5g-telecommunications-science/
- Cell Tower to be Removed After 4th Ripon Student Diagnosed with Cancer. March 25, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/03/25/cell-tower-to-be-removed-after-4th-ripon-student-diagnosed-with-cancer/
- Congresswomen Eshoo and Speier Introduce HR 530 to Block FCC Cell Tower Preemption.January 22, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/01/22/congresswomen-eshoo-and-speier-introduce-hr-530-to-block-fcc-cell-tower-preemption/
- Senator Blumenthal Blasts FCC and FDA For No Research on 5G Safety. February 13, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/02/13/no-research-on-5g-safety-senator-blumenthal-question-answered/
- FCC “5G FAST Plan” Provokes Lawsuits. Dec 31, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2018/12/31/fcc-5g-fast-plan-provokes-lawsuits/
- 5G Safety Questioned by Congress Members Blumenthal and Eshoo. Dec 31, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2018/12/31/5g-safety-questioned-by-congress-members-blumenthal-and-eshoo/
- Cell Towers and City ordinances. Physicians for Safe Technology. https://mdsafetech.org/cell-tower-and-city-ordinances/
- Broadband Expansion News. Physicians for Safe Technology. https://mdsafetech.org/broadband-expansion/
- Government Accountability Office (GAO). Report to Congressional Requesters. Telecommunications. Exposure and Testing Requirements for Mobile Phones Should Be Reassessed. July 2012. https://www.gao.gov/assets/600/592901.pdf