The 5G technology rollout, like a runaway train, is being pushed onto cities and counties who are loosing even more local control over small cell tower placement with higher untested frequencies. There continues to be no consideration for health effects, environmental effects, radiation monitoring or privacy concerns. The new FCC 5G Fast Plan forces cities to use only an administrative permit with multiple antennas being approved at once. Local control is being crushed. Despite shiny promises of faster internet and seamless instantaneous connection to support so called “Smart Cities”, there are glaring downsides not discussed by industry. While the current U.S. President is vocally supporting the rollout of 5G and then 6G, offering for a brief time to nationalize the 5G network, some experts think 5G may be unrealistic in the near future. People around the country mobilized on May 15, 2019 to protest this overreach of the FCC, now regarded as another corporate captured agency.
30 Demonstrations Against 5G in 14 States
Updated News about the May 15, 2019 5G Day of Action can be found at Safer EMR.
Privacy Threats Terrifying
Privacy and security are growing concerns with data breaches, hacking and cyber espionage evident as real threats by experts, eloquently reviewed by Sue Halpern, in a recent New Yorker article, The Terrifying Potential of the 5G Network. Citizens are fighting back around the world. Toronto is also facing opposition to it’s development of a “Smart City “ from the ground up for widespread surveillance.
May 15, 2019 A Day of Action to Oppose 5G
Americans for Responsible Technology, a non-profit educational and activist alliance, is calling for a Day of Action, on May 15, 2019, to let their fellow citizens and policymakers know the risks of a 5G rollout including:
- Health and Safety
Larger Carbon Footprint
Scientific Evidence is Strong and Disturbing
Considering a vast and growing body of scientific evidence demonstrating that 2G, 3G and 4G technology frequencies are biologically disruptive to all organisms and:
- The current standards do not base their limits on biological harm or long term exposure
- The FCC standards are 23 years old
- The technology is complex and unpredictable
- 4G technology will be used in most small cells with many more cell towers spaced a few houses apart
- There is no independent safety testing of 5G
It is no wonder citizens and communities are rising up around the world to stop 5G and small cell installations on every block.
Letter Writing to Your Local politician and Newspaper
Another action called for on the 5G Action Day is letter writing, calls to your local politician or legislators and if inspired, a letter to the editor to let them know your concerns. Environmental Health Trust has a number of resources and suggestions to Take Action on 5G Streamlining Bills
5G Moratorium Called by Scientists and Physicians
Over 240 international scientists and physicians from 40 countries have called for a 5G Moratorium. The 5G Appeal states, “ 5G will substantially increase exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields RF-EMF, that has been proven to be harmful for humans and the environment…. and on top of the increased number of 5G-transmitters (even within housing, shops and in hospitals) according to estimates, ”10 to 20 billion connections” (to refrigerators, washing machines, surveillance cameras, self-driving cars and buses, etc.) will be parts of the Internet of Things. http://www.5gappeal.eu/about/
Toronto’s New Quayside “Smart City” Facing Fierce Opposition for Surveillance Capitalism
Plans for fully integrated city to be built from the ground up is finding that citizens are not all happy with the secret undemocratic development process, full surveillance plans and commodification of citizens data. Toronto Open Smart Cities Forum is exposing the Canadian Government and Google partnership proposals as unethical in the limitless collection of data in exchange for free services. Googles friendly name of “Sidewalk Labs” which is owned by Alphabet, Inc, is set to develop 12 acres of waterfront, southeast of downtown Toronto. According to the Intercept article, Googles “Smart City of Surveillance” Faces New Resistance in Toronto , Sidewalk Labs “kiosks have already been installed in New York and London. The kiosks — which include three cameras, 30 sensors, and Bluetooth beacons — aggregate anonymized data for advertising purposes in exchange for providing passersby with free Wi-Fi services.”
ICNRP Cartel: Do Inaccurate Radiofrequency Assessments Promote Profit Over Protection?
The authoritative International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNRP) sets exposure guidelines for radiofrequency fields around the world. Some Countries adopt the same upper limits of exposure (U.S. and Canada) and others are more precautionary , setting much lower limits of exposure (Austria, Belgium, Switzerland) that are 50 to 10,000 times less the ICNRP Guidelines. Are the ICNRP RF guidelines accurate or manipulated? For protection or profit?
The Oceana Radiofrequency Scientific Advisory Association (ORSAA) complied a review, Who is Running the WHO EHC review – ICNIRP? , which clearly shows the weight given to science on health effects depends on the country and funding of the science. Selection bias is highlighted by ORSAA, stating “What we have found is that the researchers represent countries that have in most cases adopted ICNIRP Guidelines, which are the least protective when compared to what is available around the world. There is no representation from countries that have more stricter scientific based RF Standards such as Eastern Europe, Russia, China or India.” ORSAA has complied the science in Is ICNRP A Closed Club? The new interactive website ICNRP Cartel shows the complex nature of the funding biases in research.
5G technology will require radiation standards to be raised to the level of ICNRP guidelines in order to function. Governments around the world are now concerned.
Italy, Germany, Switzerland Call for 5G Ban
Germany– A 5G Pilot project in Brussels Germany was halted due to environmental and health concerns. The Environmental Minister Celine Fremault stated, “I cannot welcome such technology if the radiation standards, which must protect the citizen, are not respected, 5G or not…The people of Brussels are not guinea pigs whose health I can sell at a profit. We cannot leave anything to doubt.”
A petition to stop a 5G auction in Germany gained momentum and closed April 4, 2019 with more than 50,000 signatures, enough that it be discussed in parliament.
Italy- In Rome, the XII Municipality of Roma Capitale, has asked to halt the rollout of 5G. The Italian article states that there were 11 votes for and 3 votes against the “experimentation”. A large part of Rome wants to have a “a ‘5G free’ hole in the Portuense, Gianicolense and Monteverde areas up to Maccarese and Castel di Guido: “We ask the mayor to stop the 5G trial and not to raise the limit values in the threshold of electromagnetic radiation avoiding the positioning of groups of mini-millimeter microwave antennas on homes, schools, day centers, recreation centers, street lights and more, ”
Councilor Massimiliano Quaresima stated, “The fight against electromagnetic pollution is one of our strong points. I am in favor of technological progress but not on the experimentation of 5G technology in the absence of certain scientific data on the repercussions for health. Apply the precautionary principle sanctioned by the European Union”.
Maurizio Martucci, a representative of the Italian alliance Stop 5G noted, “Finally politics is acknowledging our request for a sensible moratorium awaiting the seriousness of the risk of ubiquitous irradiation. Safe progress is in the defense of health ”.
Switzerland- The Canton of Geneva has introduced a preliminary ban on the construction of 5G antennae, until there is investigation into health and environmental impacts.
The 5G Mass Experiment: Big Promises, Unknown Risks
Investigate Europe has produced a short video about 5G published January 2019. It is posted out that we have other habits of consumption that are unhealthy, however, we can choose to consume them or not. With 5G and “Small Cell” towers we have no control and will be exposed 24/7 to this harmful radiation.
Telecom Giants vs Local Control : Congress Now Concerned
This fight is not only about health, but about the loss of citizen and community control. That is why the National League of Cities along with hundreds of individual cities and counties support Representative Anna Eshoo’s HR 530 to revoke the Federal Communications Commission Rule and Order to streamline deployment of 5G and “small cell” towers that took effect in January 2019. Some cities are considering municipal owned cable and fiberoptic systems that are fully wired to the home (and in the home) in order to provide equitable, safer and cheaper service to their residents. In 21 states legislation has outlawed this practice of municipal owned broadband networks but others are moving forward.
Federal Preemption in Matters of Public Health
Federal preemption of local governments in many areas that affect public health have already been adopted, including agriculture, toxics reductions and climate change policies. These policies often benefit large industry at the expense of public health. In a recent paper published in the American Public Health Association Journal entitled “State Preemption: Threat to Democracy, Essential Regulation, and Public Health” JL Pomeranz et al make the case for maintaining local government authority. They state, “Modern preemption represents the convergence of industry-sponsored deregulation and an undermining of local democracy…State legislatures have gone so far as to eliminate their own ability to act on a wide range of issues while preempting local control over these same issues. States also have enacted punitive preemptive measures [“super-preemption”] under which local governments and officials can be subject to civil and even criminal penalties for adopting legislation that may be contrary to state law. Stakeholders and advocates across public health topic areas can work together to present a stronger opposition to preemption and support minimum standards that strengthen the health of all communities.
For information on the Americans for Responsible Technology Day of Action May 15, 2019 go here
- The Terrifying Potential of the 5G Network: the Future of Wireless Technology holds the promise of total connectivity. But will be especially susceptible to cyberattacks and surveillance. Sue Halpern. April 26, 2019.
- ‘Are community concerns over the 5G network rollout based on unfounded anxiety or valid evidence?’ Guest Blog from Dr. Don Maisch, Australia. Between a Rock and a Hard place. April 25, 2019. https://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/guest-blog-from-dr-don-maisch-australia-are-community-concerns-over-the-5g-network-rollout-based-on-unfounded-anxiety-or-valid-evidence/
- 5G is speedy, but does it also raise the stakes on privacy, security, potential abuse? USA Today. March 27, 2019. Edwards C Baig. https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/03/27/will-new-5-g-wireless-network-threaten-your-privacy/3032281002/
- AT&T sued by Sprint, must defend decision to tell users that 4G is “5G E”. Sprint says AT&T’s “5G E” campaign violates laws against false advertising. JON BRODKIN – 2/8/2019. https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/02/sprint-sues-att-to-stop-it-from-calling-its-4g-service-5g-e/
- Florence brakes on 5G and applies the Precautionary Principle:Motion in Defense of Health Approved (almost) unanimous.” Oasi Sana. March 28, 2019. In Italian. https://oasisana.com/2019/04/05/provoca-danni-al-corpo-firenze-frena-sul-5g-e-applica-il-principio-di-precauzione-approvata-con-voto-quasi-unanime-la-mozione-in-difesa-della-salute-notizia-esclusiva-oasi-sana/
- A Municipality of Rome votes against 5G: what will be the Giunta? Terra Nova Italy. March 28, 2019. In Italian. https://www.terranuova.it/News/Attualita/Un-Municipio-di-Roma-vota-contro-il-5G-cosa-fara-la-Giunta?fbclid=IwAR3aF3PUoI0CIuxeLo3TNU7wwyDXSOumhEY31IZH9e2oyOSRVJtrOwB071M
- Canton of Geneva prohibits construction of 5G antennae. April 11, 2019. Telecompaper. https://www.telecompaper.com/news/canton-of-geneva-prohibits-construction-of-5g-antennae–1288622
- Germans petition Parliament to stop 5G auction on health grounds. April 8, 2019. Telecompaper. https://www.telecompaper.com/news/germans-petition-parliament-to-stop-5g-auction-on-health-grounds–1287962
- Radiation concerns halt Brussels 5G development, for now. April 1, 2019. The Brussels Times. http://www.brusselstimes.com/brussels/14753/radiation-concerns-halt-brussels-5g-for-now
- 5G Auction Germany: Petition reaches Bundestag. April 5, 2019. 5G Global News. https://5globalnews.com/5g-auction-germany-petition-reaches-bundestag/
- European Commission Scientific Committee on Health, Environmental and Emerging Risks (SCHEER) 2018 Report Lists 5G Radiation as Risk. https://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/scheer_en
- Court upholds SF’s right to prevent telecom companies from marring scenic views. Bob Egelko April 4, 2019. https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Court-upholds-SF-s-right-to-prevent-telecom-13742615.php
- Portland Officials Attempt To Block 5G Network Installation Over Health Risks. March 24, 2019. https://prepforthat.com/portland-blocking-5g-networks-over-health-risks/
- Trump Wants ‘5G’ and ‘Even 6G’ Wireless Technology ‘As Soon As Possible.’ What’s He Talking About? Time Feb 21, 2019. http://time.com/5534983/trump-5g-6g/
- ‘There’s zero chance that 5G is a ubiquitous technology’ by 2021, analyst says. April 23, 2019. https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/23/analyst-craig-moffett-sees-no-chance-of-5g-becoming-ubiquitous-by-2021.html
- 5G Telecommunications Science. PST https://mdsafetech.org/5g-telecommunications-science/
- Cell Tower to be Removed After 4th Ripon Student Diagnosed with Cancer. March 25, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/03/25/cell-tower-to-be-removed-after-4th-ripon-student-diagnosed-with-cancer/
- Congresswomen Eshoo and Speier Introduce HR 530 to Block FCC Cell Tower Preemption.January 22, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/01/22/congresswomen-eshoo-and-speier-introduce-hr-530-to-block-fcc-cell-tower-preemption/
- Senator Blumenthal Blasts FCC and FDA For No Research on 5G Safety. February 13, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2019/02/13/no-research-on-5g-safety-senator-blumenthal-question-answered/
- FCC “5G FAST Plan” Provokes Lawsuits. Dec 31, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2018/12/31/fcc-5g-fast-plan-provokes-lawsuits/
- 5G Safety Questioned by Congress Members Blumenthal and Eshoo. Dec 31, 2019. https://mdsafetech.org/2018/12/31/5g-safety-questioned-by-congress-members-blumenthal-and-eshoo/
- Cell Towers and City ordinances. Physicians for Safe Technology. https://mdsafetech.org/cell-tower-and-city-ordinances/
- Broadband Expansion News. Physicians for Safe Technology. https://mdsafetech.org/broadband-expansion/
- Government Accountability Office (GAO). Report to Congressional Requesters. Telecommunications. Exposure and Testing Requirements for Mobile Phones Should Be Reassessed. July 2012. https://www.gao.gov/assets/600/592901.pdf