“The NTP does the best animal bioassays in the word. Their reputation is stellar. So if they are telling us this was positive in this study, that’s a concern.” Dr. Christopher Portier, former Director U.S. CDC
The results of the most comprehensive study of cell phone radiation and cancer by the National Toxicology Program to date are in and they are raising awareness beyond just concern. After 10 years and $25 million spent in funding, this rigorous study found “Clear evidence” of carcinogenicity in malignant tumors of the heart with non-thermal whole body exposure to non-ionizing radiation, in addition to significant increase in malignant gliomas of the brain, DNA damage and cardiomyopathy. The well-conducted NTP study is supported by 2 other life-span studies (Chou et al 1992 and Falcioni et al 2018) demonstrating similar findings with long term exposure to cell phone radiation. https://mdsafetech.org/ntp-study-2016/
Whole Body Exposure Affects Internal Organ Systems
Many physicists have argued this type of radiofrequency radiation cannot cause adverse biological effects. An NTP peer review panel of 11 toxicologists and pathologists, however, concluded on March 28, 2018 at Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, that there are significant positive findings for malignant schwannomas of the heart, gliomas of the brain and tumors of the adrenal gland (pheochromocytoma). They also found increases, although not statistically significant, in tumors of other organs including malignant lymphoma, the skin (fibrous histiocytomas and sarcomas), pituitary gland, prostate gland, pancreas, lung and liver compared to sham control groups. In addition, there was evidence of DNA damage in both the rat and mice research. https://ehtrust.org/wp-content/uploads/NTP-DNA-Damage-Abstract-from-Sept-2017-Presentation-.pdf .
Cardiomyopathy: An Aging heart
Another unusual and unexpected finding was a statistically significant increase of cardiomyopathy in male rats that they stated indicated an aging heart. “Cardiomyopathy was characterized by degeneration and necrosis of myofibers with a mild inflammatory response of macrophages and lymphocytes with occasional neutrophils.” Page 95 NTP Final Technical Report https://ntp.niehs.nih.gov/ntp/about_ntp/trpanel/2018/march/tr595peerdraft.pdf. This indicates that as the non-ionizing radiation passes through the body it can target several organ systems along it’s path, causing damage.
Dr. Lennart Hardell, an renowned oncologist in Sweden, underscored the importance of the NTP long term study results showing an increase in schwannomas and gliomas. This NTP study corroborates carefully done epidemiological studies on cell phone use, which found an increase in similar types of brain tumors in humans with long term use of cell phones on the ipsilateral (same) side of the head.
Dr. Ronald Melnick, who led the design of the rodent NTP study on cell phones and cancer, remarked that the incidence of prostate epithelial hyperplasia was increased in all exposure groups indicating the prostate gland should be specified as a target organ for RFR. He also highlighted that the control rats had significantly reduced incidence of neoplasia compared to historical controls as they were housed in “uniquely designed reverberation chambers which were fully shielded from external electromagnetic fields.” This may be one of the most significant findings indicating a carcinogenic effect of RFR, as the absence of the radio frequency radiation seemed to offer protection from the development of cancer.
- Physicians for Safe Technology on NTP- NTP Study 2018
- Environmental Health Trust on NTP –EH Trust NTP 2018
- Electromagnetic Radiation Safety on NTP- SaferEMR on NTP
- Microwave News on NTP- More than Just a Coincidence- Microwave News NTP
- Microwave News on NTP- Cell Phone Radiation Boosts Cancer Rates-Microwave News- NTP Cancer Rates Boosted
News Stories NTP Study
- New Studies Link Cell Phone Radiation with Cancer. March 29, 2018 https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-studies-link-cell-phone-radiation-with-cancer/
- Can your cellphone cause cancer? Scientists find definitive link in study of rats. John Murowski. March 28, 2018. http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/health-care/article207112454.html
- Can Cellphones Cause Cancer? Experts Surprised By Latest Tests. March 29, 2018
- Major Cell Phone Radiation Study Reignites Cancer Questions. March 27,2018. Scientific America. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/major-cell-phone-radiation-study-reignites-cancer-questions/
- New cellphone and health studies don’t eliminate uncertainty.Science. Feb 3, 2018. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/02/new-cellphone-and-health-studies-don-t-eliminate-uncertainty
- Government Study Suggests Cell Phones May Cause Cancer in Rats. Feb 2, 2018. Consumer Reports. https://www.consumerreports.org/radiation/government-study-suggests-cell-phones-may-cause-cancer-in-rats/
- Statement from Jeffrey Shuren, M.D., J.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health on the recent National Toxicology Program draft report on radiofrequency energy exposure. Feb2, 2018. https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm595144.htm