On March 27, 2018, Berkeley professor Dr. Joel Moskowitz, was presented with the James Madison Freedom of Information Award by the Society for Professional Journalists for his work uncovering the California Department of Public Health(CDPH) Recommendations on How to Reduce Exposure to Radiofrequency Energy from Cell Phones.
Dr. Moskowitz, who is the director of the Center for Family and Community Health at UC Berkeley’s School of Public Health, knew of the CDPH guidelines since 2013, however they had never been published. He found out that the CDPH had been working on safe cell phone guidelines since 2009. After many requests to the CDPH for release of these recommendations he filed a lawsuit in 2016 against the CDPH through the Freedom of Information Act. After the successful lawsuit, a Sacramento judge ordered that the CDPH release the documents and a 2 page draft copy, not to be released to the public was sent to Dr. Moskowitz in March 2017.
In a March 2017 SF Gate article about the CDPH draft release, it was noted that Superior Court Judge Shelleyanne Chang stated the CDPH does have an obligation to inform the public about public health issues gathered by it’s own scientists.
Dr. Moskowitz has been involved in educating others about the science indicating harm from wireless radiation for almost a decade. He, along with over 230 other international EMF peer reviewed scientists, have signed a petition, calling for the UN to issue new standards for non-ionizing electromagnetic that are protective of human and environmental health.
Professor Moskowitz was also instrumental in passing Berkeley’s Cell Phone Right to Know ordinance, the first in the Nation to require cell phone sellers to post a brief warning in their stores about the hazards of cell phone radiation. This is similar to the warning cell phone manufacturers include in the fine print of their phone manuals and that few people ever read. Despite appeals and lawsuits by the telecommunications industry the Berkeley ordinance so far has prevailed, however, it may be challenged in the Supreme Court.
The Berkeley cell phone ordinance required posting reads “To assure safety, the Federal Government requires that cell phones meet radio frequency (RF) exposure guidelines. If you carry or use your phone in a pants or shirt pocket or tucked into a bra when the phone is ON and connected to a wireless network, you may exceed the federal guidelines for exposure to RF radiation. This potential risk is greater for children. Refer to the instructions in your phone or user manual for information about how to use your phone safely.”
Dr. Moskowitz has his own website https://www.saferemr.com with up to date information for the public, scientists and officials.
- SPJ NORCAL HONORS 2018 JAMES MADISON FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AWARD WINNERS. http://www.spjnorcal.org/new/2018/02/21/spj-norcal-honors-2018-foi-award-winners/
- California Warns About Cellphone Exposure And Health Risks. Forbes. . Dec 16, 2017. https://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2017/12/16/california-warns-about-cell-phone-exposure-and-health-risks/#7dcfaa7a34a3
- California issues guidance on cell phones and health. Dec 16, 2018.Kent German. https://www.cnet.com/news/california-issues-guidance-on-cell-phones-and-health/
- Cell phone radiation may impact your health, California health officials say. Dec 18, 2018. Abby Hamblin. http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/opinion/the-conversation/sd-california-cell-phone-radiation-20171218-htmlstory.html
- Sleeping next to your cell phone could cause brain cancer, infertility. Dec 18, 2017. Ariel Scotti. http://beta.nydailynews.com/life-style/sleeping-cell-phone-brain-cancer-infertility-article-1.3707453
- Year after lawsuit, California health officials release cell phone radiation safety guide. Dec 13, 2017. http://www.kcra.com/article/year-after-lawsuit-california-health-officials-release-cellphone-radiation-safety-guide/14430117
- State kept secret guidelines on safe cell phone use. March 3, 2017. Melody Gutierrez. https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Judge-may-order-release-of-state-health-report-on-10973430.php
- Draft Guidelines CDPH Cell Phones and Health. https://www.sfchronicle.com/file/198/6/1986-Cell%20Phones%201-26-15.pdf
- City of Berkeley to require cellphone sellers to warn of possible radiation risks. The Guardian. May 16, 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/may/16/berkeley-california-cellphone-radiation-health-risks