March 2023 the Santa Clara County Medical Association (SCCMA), in California, adopted comprehensive Recommendations for Best Practices for Safe Technology in Schools in order to educate physicians, school officials and teachers of the complex health risks and potential health hazards of digital and wireless technology in schools. The group examined research on the broad impacts of digital technology including health effects of exposure to wireless radiation, eye effects, mental health effects, privacy and impacts on academic performance. Recognizing the importance of protecting children’s health in all environments, including schools, several recommendations for best practices were advised.
SCCMA Best Practice Recommendations for Safe Tech in Schools Include
- Creating a “Safe Tech in Schools Program” to educate students and staff on how to use devices safely and reduce wireless use in the classroom
- Using blue light reduction methods to reduce eye strain
- Establishing and promoting school cell phone-free policies
- Preferring and installing hard-wired ethernet devices instead of wireless wherever possible
- Consulting with an RF professional who can measure radiofrequency radiation
- Avoiding installation of smart meters on school premises
- Considering a policy to restrict installation of cell towers on school property
Read More “Medical Association Adopts Recommendations for Best Practices for Safe Technology in Schools “
Insurance companies typically do not insure harm from radiofrequency radiation (RFR), it is an exclusion in almost all insurance policies. Special pollution insurance is required to cover this. The insurance industry keeps track of relevant emerging risk topics to make sound business decisions to reduce their exposure and costs. In the small town in Langley, in Washington state, passed a strong but legal wireless facilities ordinance to give as much power as possible back to the city within the legal bounds of the 1996 Telecommunicastions Act (TCA). A provision in their ordinance requires pollution liability insurance . This Oct 2022 article describes the ups and downs of how they did this.
Wireless Radiofrequency Radiation is an Insurance Risk
Swiss Re is the second largest reinsurance company in the world. In 2013, their Swiss Re Emerging Risk profile listed electromagnetic fields in the highest casualty risk due to “unforeseen consequences” beyond 10 years, similar to asbestos. This distinction is shared with endocrine disruptors and nanotechnology due to their long latency period for harm. 2013- Swiss Re Sonar Insurance Risk Report. Emerging Risk Insights 2013. https://www.stopumts.nl/pdf/Zwitserland%20Swiss%20Reinsuranse%202013.pdf
Read More “Insurance Industry: 5G is an Emerging High Risk Situation Along with Climate Change“