On June 27, 2019 Senator Dianne Feinstein introduced SB 2012, ‘‘Restoring Local Control Over Public Infrastructure Act of 2019’’, a senate companion bill to Congresswoman Anna Eshoo’s HR530, which would similarly repeal FCC rules that limit state and local government control over telecom infrastructure. The bill is cosponsored by Charles Schumer (N.Y.), Michael Bennet (Colo.), Kamala D. Harris (Calif.), Ron Wyden (Ore.), Ben Cardin (Md.) and Richard Blumenthal (Conn.). The bill is supported by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, National Association of Telecommunications Officers and Advisors, American Public Power Association, Communications Workers of America, National Association of Counties, League of California Cities and American Public Works Association. Feinstein press release here, Restoring Local Control Over Public Infrastructure Act of 2019’’
Feinstein SB 2012: Restoring Local Control Over Public Infrastructure
SB 2012 (Feinstein-CA) states:
The following regulatory actions of the Commission shall have no force or effect:
(1) The Declaratory Ruling in the ‘‘Third Report and Order and Declaratory Ruling in the matter of Accelerating Wireline Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment and Accelerating Wireless Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment’’ adopted by the Commission on August 2, 2018 (FCC 18–111).
(2) The ‘‘Declaratory Ruling and Third Report and Order in the matter of Accelerating Wireless Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment and Accelerating Wireline Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment’’ adopted by the Commission on September 26, 2018 (FCC 18–133).
(3) The rule adopted by the Commission entitled ‘‘Accelerating Wireless and Wireline Broadband Deployment by Removing Barriers to Infrastructure Investment’’ (83 Fed. Reg. 51867 (October 15, 24 2018)).
Battle of the Bills: Telecom Friendly Bills to Speed Deployment of 5G
Several new bills have been introduced in congress to speed deployment of small cell antennae with the stated goal to improve wireless telecommunications, fight terrorism and improve security. It appears to also increase the United States influence on other countries to standardize international guidelines that are not health protective. Countries such as Austria that use the Precautionary Priniciple to guide their RF statards would have to increase the levels of readiation. An article discussing 5G roll out and not reinstating Net Neutrality Rules. For 5G, Panelists Favor Limiting Local Control over Rights-of-Way and Not Reinstating Net Neutrality Rules.
SB 1625 – United States 5G leadership Act.
SB 1625 Wicker (R-MS) United States 5G leadership Act. Co-sponsrs include Cotton (R-AR), Warner (D-VA), Markey(D-MA), Sullivan (R-AK), Blumentahl (D-CT), Manchin(D-WV), Collins (R-ME), Moran (R-KS), Gillibrand (D-NY), Duckworth (D-IL), Jones(D-AL). The bill states the goal is to promote the deployment of commercial fifth-generation mobile networks and the sharing of information with communications providers in the United States regarding security risks to the networks of those providers, and for other purposes.
The bill will take 1) “steps to ensure the secure deployment and availability of 5G networks, with a particular focus on the threat posed by equipment and services produced or provided by covered companies; but also 2) The Secretary of State, the Secretary of Commerce, and the Chairman of the Commission shall prioritize the use of Federal funds to enhance representation of the United States at international forums that set standards for 5G networks and for future generations of wireless communications networks, including—
(1) the International Telecommunication Union (commonly known as “ITU”);
(2) the International Organization for Standardization (commonly known as “ISO”); and
(3) the voluntary standards organizations that develop protocols for wireless devices and other equipment, such as the 3GPP and the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers.
Pro 5G Bills Pending in US Congress Senate Commerce, Science and Transportation Committee
SB 1968: Wicker (R-MS), Schatz (D-HI), Moran (R-KS) -SPECTRUM NOW Act Supplementing the Pipeline for Efficient Control of The Resources for Users Making New Opportunities for Wireless Act. The bill will fund a study to reallocate Federal Spectrum to non-Federal uses. Text – https://legiscan.com/US/text/SB1968/2019
SB 2018: Collins (R-ME) and Jones (D-AL)- American Broadband Buildout Act of 2019. Funds state level broadband programs for last mile broadband infrastructure and public awareness campaigns to highlight the value and benefit of broadband to increase the adoption of broadband internet service. Some portion of the funds also supports digital literacy programs in underserved areas. Text- https://legiscan.com/US/text/SB2018/2019
SB 1822:Wicker(R-MS), Capito (R-WV), Rosen (D-NV)-Broadband DATA Act Broadband Deployment Accuracy and Technological Availability Act-. Text- https://legiscan.com/US/text/SB1822/2019
SR 259: Johnson (R-WI) – A resolution expressing the sense of the Senate that United States leadership in 5G wireless technology is a national priority. Text – https://legiscan.com/US/text/SR259/2019
Local Battles Emerge to Stop 5G
As opposing bills on small cell deployment work their way through the congress local city battles are emerging throughout the country. Citizens are rising up to oppose the massive deployment of millions of cell antenna planned by the telecom industry and greased by the FCC order.
- AT&T wants to put small cell antenna 10 feet from bedroom window. Palo Alto Daily Post. July 10, 2019. https://padailypost.com/2019/07/10/att-wants-to-put-small-antenna-10-feet-from-girls-bedroom-window/
- Marin supervisors adopt new rules for 5G. July 9, 2019. Marin Independent Journal. https://www.marinij.com/2019/07/09/marin-supervisors-adopt-new-rules-for-5g/
- Boulder Colorado Has Expert Legal Opinion to Maintain Local Control of Small Cell Towers by Attorney Grant Wilson. Boulder Colorado Small Cell Ordinance Legal Opinion Policy Report
- ‘Are community concerns over the 5G network rollout based on unfounded anxiety or valid evidence?’ Guest Blog from Dr. Don Maisch, Australia. Between a Rock and a Hard place. April 25, 2019. https://betweenrockandhardplace.wordpress.com/2019/04/25/guest-blog-from-dr-don-maisch-australia-are-community-concerns-over-the-5g-network-rollout-based-on-unfounded-anxiety-or-valid-evidence
- Chicago, Illinois: Residents express 5G concerns. Kyle Grimes,July 9, 2019. The Beverly Review. http://www.beverlyreview.net/news/community_news/article_b6a3fc88-a26f-11e9-af51-7f026be1105f.html
- Elk Grove Residents warned of Possible Health Hazards of 5G. The mayor of Elk Grove, a Supervisor and expert panelists presented detailed scientific information. June 18, 2019. Elk Grove Tribune. Tillie Fong. http://elkgrovetribune.com/elk-grove-residents-warned-possible-health-hazards-5g/
- 5G in Vermont?! – Not in My Front Yard. April 13, 2019. Vermont Independent. Iishana Artra, PhD, CPC, from Brattleboro, Vermont. https://vermontindependent.net/5g-in-vermont-not-in-my-front-yard-telecom-op-ed/
- San Francisco Bans Facial Recognition Technology. May 14, 2019, Kate Conger et al. NYT. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/14/us/facial-recognition-ban-san-francisco.html
- The Terrifying Potential of the 5G Network: the Future of Wireless Technology holds the promise of total connectivity. But will be especially susceptible to cyberattacks and surveillance. Sue Halpern. April 26, 2019. The New Yorker.
A Slow Death by 5G Wireless Technology
A recent article by Richard Gale and Gary Null, PhD intelligently sums up the problematic issues with 5G. They note the massive investments and potential economic gains by industry, while captured government agencies and big telecom ignore the frightening privacy issues along with the science showing harm from wireless technologies.
They write, “ The Obama administration’s FCC, under the influence of the telecommunication industry’s insider Tom Wheeler, who served as the chair of the agency, launched the Spectrum Frontiers rules to mandate the 5G rollout as a “national priority.” Therefore, rather than the fundamental incentive to improve the lives of citizens, more important is 5G’s role to reinforce American global economic expansionism and military hegemony. For past presidents, and Trump in particular, economic figures hold all-consuming importance. One estimate claims 5G will bring over $12 trillion into the global economy, about $3.5 trillion in the US while providing 22 million new jobs. While 5G surely holds the promise of a huge windfall for the economy, these benefits will be eventually be neutralized by medical and environmental catastrophes.”
They conclude with, “Therefore, 5G poses far more problems than even its sharpest critics voice. It is not simply a threat to human health and the environment from constant exposure, but the security of the entire international community of nations is in peril. Our Congressional leaders are a national disgrace for failing to side with the public rather than the telecommunications industry. Obviously contaminating all life on the planet is too insignificant of a concern. In fact, 5G holds the possibility in being another tipping point in the sixth extinction.”
A Slow Death by 5G Wireless Technology. Richard Gale and Gary Null PhD
Progressive Radio Network. FM. July 9, 2019. http://prn.fm/slow-death-5g-wireless-technology/